We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Jeeps are known for their rugged and versatile nature, and many Jeep models offer third row seating as an option. If you’re in the market for a Jeep and need the extra seating capacity that a third row provides, this article is for you.
We’ll take a look at the various Jeep models that offer third row seating, including the Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer, and the Grand Cherokee L.
We’ll also discuss the pros and cons of third row seating in Jeeps, and provide tips for finding the best third row Jeep for your needs.
HINT: Don’t buy a Jeep with third row seating if you’re an avid offroader!!
Whether you’re a family with young children or a group of adventure-seekers looking for extra room for gear, a Jeep with third row seating might be just what you need.
Check Out The 3 Jeeps With Third Row Seating…
1. 2022 Jeep Wagoneer
The 2022 Jeep Wagoneer is a full-size SUV that is set to make its return to the market after a hiatus of nearly 30 years.
It’s offered in three trim levels: series I, series II and series III. All trim levels offer third row seating as an option.
The third row seat in the 2022 Jeep Wagoneer is a 60/40 split-folding bench seat that can accommodate two passengers. When not in use, the third row seat can be folded flat to increase cargo space.
One of the key advantages of the third row seat in the 2022 Jeep Wagoneer is its ability to accommodate adults in comfort. All seats have generous legroom and headroom, and are positioned higher than the first and second rows for a better view of the surroundings.
The Wagoneer’s third row seat is also equipped with its own climate control vents and cup holders, making it a comfortable place to ride for extended periods of time.
Overall, the 2022 Jeep Wagoneer’s third row seat is a welcome addition to an already impressive SUV. It provides the added seating capacity that families and groups need, while still offering the comfort and convenience features that today’s drivers expect.
- Length: 214.7”
- Width: 83.6” (without mirrors)
- Height: 75.6”
2. 2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
The 2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer is based on the same platform as the standard Wagoneer, but it features a more upscale interior, advanced technology, and a higher level of standard equipment.
What more could you want!?
The Grand Wagoneer will also be available with a third row seat as an option.
In addition to its comfort and convenience features, the third row seat in the 2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer is also equipped with its own infotainment system.
This system includes a 9-inch touchscreen display, a premium audio system, and connectivity options such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Are you ready to turn your Jeep into a nightclub?
- Length: 214.7”
- Width: 83.6” (without mirrors)
- Height: 75.6”
3. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
One of the key advantages of the third row seat in the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L is its versatility. It can be easily folded flat when not in use to maximize cargo space, or it can be raised to accommodate extra passengers.
The 2021 Grand Cherokee L allows you to fold down one side of the seat while leaving the other side upright to accommodate longer items such as skis or snowboards.
In terms of comfort, the third row seat in the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L is not as spacious as the first and second rows, but it is still a decent place to ride for short trips.
The third row seat is also equipped with its own climate control vents, which helps to keep passengers comfortable on hot or cold days.
- Length: 204.9”
- Width: 77.3” (without mirrors)
- Height: 71.5”
Here’s Why Old Jeeps Don't Have Third Row Seating
Jeeps, especially early models, were primarily designed for off-road use and utility. Adding a third row of seating would have taken up valuable space and added weight, compromising the vehicle’s off-road capabilities and increasing fuel consumption…
…so unless you’ve got a heavy wallet, you may want to consider a more fuel efficient Jeep!
Additionally, Jeep vehicles have traditionally been marketed as compact, rugged SUVs and not as full-size family vehicles, which typically have more room for passengers and cargo.
As such, there was less demand for a third row of seating in Jeeps.
How To Utilize Your Jeeps 3rd Row Seating Area
There are several ways to utilize the third row seating area in a Jeep:
- Additional seating: The third row can be used to provide additional seating for passengers. This can be especially useful for families or groups of friends who need extra room for long trips.
- Cargo storage: The third row seats can be folded down to create additional cargo space. This can be useful for carrying larger items, such as camping gear or sports equipment.
- Sleeping area: The third row can be used as a sleeping area when camping or road tripping. This can be especially useful when you want to avoid the cost of a hotel room.
- Tailgating: When folded down, the third row provides a convenient area for tailgating and picnics.
- Pet area: The third row can be used to provide a safe and comfortable space for pets while traveling.
Some Jeep models may not have fold-down 3rd row seating and the cargo space may not be as large as in other cars or SUVs, so it’s always best to check the specs of the specific model before purchasing.
Do your research, folks!
How To Add A Third Row Of Seats To Your Existing Jeep
Adding a third row of seats to an existing Jeep can be a complex process and may require professional assistance, as it may involve cutting and modifying the vehicle’s frame and interior.
A note to all the DIYers: Don’t try doing something this complex unless you have years of professional experience!
Additionally, it will require purchasing the third row seats and any necessary hardware. Below is a general guide on the steps involved in adding a third row of seats to an existing Jeep:
- Research: Research the different options available for third row seating in Jeeps and choose the one that best suits your needs and budget.
- Purchase: Purchase the third row seats and any necessary hardware.
- Installation: Have the third row seats installed by a professional mechanic or automotive upfitter. *You could also get your Jeep undercoated to prevent road noise at the same time!*
- Testing: Test the new third row seats to make sure they are properly secured and functioning as expected.
- Safety check: Make sure the new third row seats are properly secured and meet safety standards.
- Finishing touch: Add any desired finishing touches such as seat covers, headrest or other accessories to match the interior of your jeep.
Adding a third row of seats may negatively impact the vehicle’s performance and fuel efficiency.
It’s also important to check the compatibility of the third row seat with your jeep model and the legal requirements for adding this modification in your area.
Frequently Asked Questions…
What Are Downsides Of Third Row Seating?
Adding a third row of seating to a Jeep can have some downsides, such as:
- Reduced cargo space: Adding a third row of seating will reduce the amount of cargo space available in the vehicle. This can be a problem for those who frequently carry large items or need to transport a lot of luggage.
- Reduced off-road capabilities: Adding a third row of seating may increase the vehicle’s weight, which can negatively impact its off-road capabilities. This can be a problem for those who frequently use their Jeep for off-roading.
- Reduced fuel efficiency: Adding a third row of seating can increase the vehicle’s weight and wind resistance, which can negatively impact its fuel efficiency.
- Reduced visibility: Adding a third row of seating can reduce visibility, especially if the third row seats are higher than the second row seats.
- Reduced comfort: The third row seating area may be cramped and less comfortable than the other rows, especially for taller passengers.
- More cleaning: The bigger your Jeep, the longer it takes to clean the inside. Make sure you have a reliable interior cleaner on hand to save time and learn how it’s done!
Here are some downsides of adding a third row of seating to your existing Jeep…
- Higher cost: Adding a third row of seating can be expensive, both in terms of the cost of the seats and the cost of installation. It could also lower the value of your Jeep if you go down the DIY route and make a mistake.
- Legal requirements: Adding a third row of seating may require meeting legal requirements and getting the modification approved by the local authorities.
- Compatibility: Not all jeep models are compatible with adding a third row of seating, and in some cases, the modification may not be worth it for the downsides mentioned above.
So what’s the right decision?
Unfortunately, I can’t answer that question for you. It’s best to weigh both the pros and cons.
However, I will say that it’s better to purchase a Jeep that has a third row of seating already installed. This will save you a ton of headaches!
What Is The Biggest Jeep?
The largest Jeep model currently available is the 2022 Grand Wagoneer. It has a length of 214.7 inches, a width of 83.6 inches (excluding side mirrors), and a height of 75.6 inches. It has a wheelbase of 123 inches, and a ground clearance of 9.3-10 inches.
These measurements might vary based on the specific trim level or package of the Grand Wagoneer.
Also, even though it is the biggest Jeep, it might not be the best choice for off-roading as it is a luxury SUV that is more focused on comfort and features.
Summing It Up
In conclusion, Jeeps with third row seating are a great option for families or groups of friends who need extra room for passengers.
- 2022 Jeep Wagoneer
- 2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
- 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
While traditional Jeeps were primarily designed for off-road use and utility, adding a third row of seating can provide additional seating and cargo space.
However, adding a third row of seating to a Jeep can have downsides such as reduced cargo space, reduced off-road capabilities, reduced fuel efficiency, and reduced comfort.